Cathedral Church of St. Philip
|Sunday||Choral Eucharist 11.00; Choral Evensong 15.30|
|Weekdays||Evensong 17.45 Tue & Wed during term time; Sat Evensong 15.30 (Visiting Choirs)|
Director of Music
Marcus Huxley (since 1986)
The Choir consists of three sections, men, boys & girls, who perform both separately and in various combinations, of which the most frequent is men and boys.
Originally Schwarbrick 1715, the present organ is the result of rebuilds by Nicholson's in 1894, 1929, 1948 and a major rebuild in 1993 providing two organs - South facing (choir, solo & swell) and West facing, from the gallery, (great, swell, pedal & trompeta real).
4 manuals 62 stops:
Pedal 15 stops, Choir 9 stops, Great 14 stops, Swell 15 stops, Solo 9
The Very Revd Catherine Ogle (since 2010)
The Right Revd David Urquhart (since 2006)
This magnificent building was designed by Thomas Archer and completed in 1715, retaining some fine Georgian features including its gallery. The Victorians added a Chancel with three huge Burne-Jones windows and one at the West end. It became a Cathedral in 1905 when the Diocese of Birmingham was created.