Birmingham Metropolitan Cathedral (RC)
Cathedral Church of St. Chad
Daily 08.00-17.00; Saturday 09.00-17.00; Sundays closed after Mass
|Sunday||High Mass 11.00|
School Tours are a regular feature
Cathedral shop run by the Society of St Paul open Monday-Saturday 09.00-17.00
Music Office 0121 230 6247
School Visits 0121 230 6215
Organist & Director of Music
David Saint (since 1978)
St Chad's Cathedral Choir was endowed in 1854. The present-day Cathedral Singers, many of whom are staff and students at the Birmingham Conservatoire sing at the Cathedral's principal services on Sundays, Holy days during term and at Christmas and Easter.
A new 3 manual organ built by J W Walker in 1993. The striking case design is by David Graebe and the organ consultant was Nicolas Kynaston who gave the opening recital in February 1994. It was the first large mechanical-action organ to be built in the West Midlands and is used regularly for recitals, teaching and exams.
3 manuals 40 stops:
Pedal 8 stops, Positive 10 stops, Great 11 stops, Swell 11 stops
Canon Gerry Breen (since )
Archbishop & Metropolitan
The Most Revd Bernard Longley (since 2009)
The Cathedral was built between 1839 & 1841 to a design by Augustus Pugin. In North German 13th century style, it is built of brick with Bath stone facings. It was the first Catholic Cathedral built in England since the Reformation. It has a fine peal of 8 bells dating back to 1877 but rehung in 1940 by Taylors of Loughborough. They are rung every Sunday by an active Society of Change Ringers.