Cathedral Church of Christ & the Blessed Virgin Mary
Monday-Saturday 09.00-17.00; Sunday 13.00-16.00
Chester city centre
|Sunday||Cathedral Eucharist 10.00 (CW); Choral Mattins 11.30 (2nd, 4th, 5th Sundays); BCP Eucharist (1st & 3rd Sundays); Choral Evensong 15.30|
|Weekdays||Choral Evensong 17.30 (except Weds), 16.15 Saturday; Saints days Choral Eucharist 17.30|
Entrance: Donation requested
Available. To book contact tel: 01244 500958 e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Audio tours also available. Minimum Group size for concessionary rate 10
Refectory café open Mon-Sat 09.30-16.30, Sun 12:00-16:00 (Seasonal)
Cathedral gift shop open Mon-Sat 09.30-17.00; Sun 11.00-16.00
E-mail address: email@example.com
General Enquiries 01244 324756; Box Office 01244 500959
Organist & Director of Music
Philip Rushforth (since 2008)
There is no choir school at Chester, so the Choristers are drawn from a number of local schools plus 6 professional singers and 3 Choral Scholars. As well as the traditional choir of boys, the Cathedral has since 1997 recruited girl trebles. There is also the Nave Choir, the oldest Cathedral voluntary choir in the country. They sing Evening Prayer at 18.30 on Sundays and occasionally join the main Cathedral Choir for celebration services.
Gray & Davison 1846, rebuilt William Hill & Son 1908, Rushworth & Draper 1969.
4 manual, 70 stops:
Pedal 14 stops, Choir 12 stops, Great 17 stops, Swell 15 stops, Solo 12 stops
The Very Revd Professor Gordon McPhate (since 2002)
The Right Revd Dr Peter Forster (since 1996)
A Benedictine Abbey was founded on the site in 1092 and was gradually extended until 1250 when the present form was achieved. It remained an Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries when it became a Cathedral in 1546. Further building took place and a great deal of restoration during the 19th century. There is a stand-alone bell tower known as the Dean Addleshaw Tower built in 1974, the first to be built for an English Cathedral since the 16th century. The central tower of the Cathedral became unstable during the 1960s and a new home had to be found for the bells.