Cathedral Church of The Holy Trinity
07.15-19.00 (18.00 in winter)
|Sunday||Sung Mattins 10.00; Sung Eucharist 11.00; Choral Evensong 15.30|
|Weekdays||Mon, Tue, Wed (said), Thu, Fri (unaccompanied), Sat Choral Evensong 17.30|
Service Sheet www.chichestercathedral.org.uk/whats-on/event/
Entrance: No charge, donation requested
Disabled: Level access through South West door, many internal ramps
11.15 & 14.30, lasting about 45 minutes, Mon-Sat
Full restaurant facilities, entrance through Cloisters, weekdays 08.30-17.30; Sun carvery available 10.00-16.00
Entrance off Cloisters, Mon-Sat 09.00-17.00; Sun 10.00-16.00
Visitor Services 01243 812482
Cathedral Offices 01243 782595
Restaurant 01243 813581
Organist & Master of the Choristers
Sarah Baldock (since 2008)
Boys and men; boys board at the Prebendal School with scholarship towards 50 percent of boarding fees. Voice trials in January for 7 - 9 year olds. Organ scholarship also available.
Based on 1851 Hill organ, rebuilt by Hele 1914, major rebuild by N P Mander in 1986.
4 manuals 55 stops:
Pedal 9 stops, Choir 7 stops, Great 14 stops, Swell 13 stops, Solo 5 stops, Nave 7 stops
The Very Revd Nicholas Frayling (since 2002)
The Right Revd Martin Warner (since 2012)
In 1075 the Council of London established the See of Chichester and in 1076 the building of the present Cathedral in Chichester was begun under Bishop Stigand. It was completed under Bishop Luffa in time for its consecration to the Holy Trinity in 1108. During the thirteenth century, chapels were added to the Nave Aisles forming an unusual architectural feature and making Chichester one of the widest English Cathedrals.
The fourteenth century saw the completion of the extension of the Lady Chapel containing windows in the ‘decorated’ style. In 1315 Bishop John Langton completely rebuilt the South wall of the South Transept creating a large seven-light window with elaborate tracery around a curvilinear triangle. The Canon’s Vestry was also built around this time and the Song School was added immediately overhead about one hundred years later.
During the fifteenth century, important features were added to the Cathedral which greatly altered its external appearance: the Cloisters, enclosing the South Transept; the detached bell-tower, the only one of its kind remaining in England and which today houses a peel of eight bells; and the spire, so greatly admired by Pesvner. The Reformation brought considerable destruction to the Cathedral. Brasses were removed from memorials and many stone figures and carvings defaced. The shrine of St Richard was totally destroyed and it was probably at this time that Chichester lost its medieval stained glass. Further damage to the Cathedral and its contents, notably the library, took place at the hands of Parliamentary troops when they took possession of the City at the end of 1642.
The restoration of the Cathedral was started in earnest by Dean George Chandler during the 1840s. The spire collapsed in 1861 and the spire we see today is Sir George Gilbert Scott’s restoration.