Leeds Cathedral (RC)
Cathedral Church of St. Anne
|Sunday||Sung Mass 9.30; Solemn Mass 11.00|
|Weekdays (sung in term time)||Sung Mass 17.30 (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu); Vespers 17.10 (Tue, Wed, Thu)|
Service Sheet www.dioceseofleedsmusic.org.uk
Director of Music
Benjamin Saunders (since 2002)
The Cathedral has three choirs which perform in rotation: the Cathedral Boys' Choir of twenty boys aged 7 to 14 who rehearse on Mondays & Wednesdays after school, the Cathedral Girls' Choir, ages 8 to 18, who rehearse on Tuesdays & Thursdays after school and the Adult Choir of Choral Scholars, Lay Clerks and volunteers.
The 1904 organ built by Norman & Beard for the new Cathedral became unplayable and was replaced by an electronic organ by Phoenix Organs in 2005.
The new organ by Klais was installed in the autumn of 2009.
Mgr Philip Moger (since 2008)
Bishop of Leeds
The Right Revd Arthur Roche (since 2004)
St Anne's opened in 1838 and was raised to Cathedral status in 1878. It was demolished due to city expansion and rebuilt on its rather restricted site in 1904. The architect, John Eastwood, produced an outstanding design in the Arts & Crafts neo-Gothic style.
The interior of the Cathedral was reordered and restored in 2007. The design focuses around the relocated Sanctuary with the new altar at its centre with a new ambo and cathedra. The choir has been relocated at the east end of the cathedral.