London - St George's Cathedral, Southwark (RC)
Cathedral Church of St.George
|Sunday||Congregational Mass 10.00 (girls choir); Sung Mass 11.30 (boys & men); Mass (contemporary music) 18.00|
|Some Holy days||Sung Mass 18.00|
Director of Music
Nick Gale (since 2001)
Choir consists of 24 boys and 12 men, with a tradition dating back to the original foundation of 1848, and a newly formed girls choir. Many of the Choristers are drawn from the London Oratory School.
Compton 1958, entirely enclosed except the 32 ft octave sub bass
3 manuals 71 stops
Pedal 19 stops, Choir 20 stops, Great 17 stops, Swell 15 stops
Canon James Cronin (since )
His Grace the most Revd Kevin McDonald (since 2003)
The Cathedral, designed by Pugin and opened in 1848, was the first Roman Catholic Cathedral in Britain since the Reformation. Badly bombed in 1941 during the Second World War, much of his original work remains in the rebuilt Cathedral, re-opened in 1958. It is the mother church of the Archdiocese of Southwark which incorporates the Dioceses of Arundel & Brighton, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Southwark.