Minster Church of St. Peter
07.00 - 18.30
City map of York
|Sunday||10.00 Sung Eucharist, 11.30 Choral Matins, 16.00 Choral Evensong|
|Weekdays||17.15 Choral Evensong (Mon visitng choir or said Evening Prayer)|
Entrance: Entry (including entry to the Undercroft, Treasury & Crypt & optional free guided tour) Adult £9.00; Senior(60+)/Student £8.00; Children with family (16 & under) Free Entry to the Tower: Adult £5.50; Senior (60+)/Student £4.50; Child (age 8 - 16) £3.50
Disabled: Access faciliteis for disabled, wheelchairs on request call 01904 557222
Licensed restaurant in St Williams College closed for refurbishment
Minster shop with large range of books, CDs & gifts
E-mail address: email@example.com
Visitors 01904 557216
Director of Music
Robert Sharpe (since 2008)
Previous organists at York included Philip Moore 1982 - 2008, Francis Jackson 1946 - 1982 & Edward Bairstow 1913 - 1946
Dr Jackson is a Vice-President of the FCM. He received the CBE for services to music in the Queen's birthday honours in 2007.
There are 20 boy & 20 girl choristers plus 8 probationers aged 8 -13, all educated at the Minster School. Services are normally sung by either the boys or the girls with the men (7 Song Men & 5 Choral Scholars). The boys and girls rarely sing at the same service except for special occasions.
1832 Hill, rebuilt 1903 J W Walker, rebuilt 1916, 1931 Harrison & Harrison, rebuilt 1960 J W Walker, rebuilt 1993
4 manuals 84 stops
Pedal 21 stops, Choir 10 stops, Great 24 stops, Swell 16 stops, Solo 13 stops
The Very Revd. Vivienne Faull (since 2012)
The Most Revd & Right Hon John Sentamu (since 2005)
The first recorded Minster at York was a wooden building in 627, replaced by a stone church damaged by fire when the Normans took the city in 1069. No trace of these now exists and the present building was completed around 1100 and enlarged during the 12th century. But it was Archbishop Walter Gray who began to transform the church during the 13th century into the Minster we know today. The Quire was completed in 1415 and the towers between 1433 and 1472. Little changed until 1829 when an act of arson destroyed the Quire and the East end and another accidental fire destroyed the Nave roof and vault in 1840. Between 1967 & 1972 major work was undertaken to prevent the central tower from collapsing and in 1984 a lightning strike in the South transept caused a major fire which took four years to restore. Continuous work is required to maintain and restore this magnificent building.