Cambridge - King's College Chapel
The King’s College Chapel of Our Lady and Saint Nicholas in Cambridge
During term: 09.30 - 15.45 Sunday (first Sun of month only) 13.00 - 14.00
Out of term: 09.30 - 16.45 Sunday 10.00 - 16.45 (winter) or 17.15 (summer)
|Sunday||Choral Eucharist or Choral Mattins 10.30|
|Weekdays||Evensong daily 17.30: Mon King's Voices, Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat full choir, Wed men|
Service Sheet www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/services/
Entrance: £4.50 (Disabled access to main areas free)
Disabled: Disabled facilities and entrance to main areas free
The chapel shop offers a wide range of gifts, souvenirs, books, postcards and a full selection of CDs and tapes of King's College Choir
E-mail address: email@example.com
Director of Music
Stephen Cleobury (since 1982)
The previous Directors of Music of King's College have included Philip Ledger, David Willcocks, Harold Darke and Boris Ord.
Internationally recognised as the pre-eminent representative of the great British church music tradition, the Choir owes its existence to King Henry VI who envisaged the daily singing of services in his magnificent chapel. This remains the Choir's raison d'être, and is an important part of the lives of its sixteen choristers, who are educated on generous scholarships at King's College School and the fourteen choral scholars and two organ scholars, who study a variety of subjects in the College itself.
Today's Choir derives its worldwide fame and reputation from the annual broadcast of the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols which is heard on radio by millions all over the world each Christmas Eve.
The organ comprises 4 manuals, pedals & 80 speaking stops: Pedal 22 stops, choir 17 stops, great 15 stops, swell 15 stops, solo 11 stops. The case is the only remaining part of the instrument built by Thomas Dallam in 1606. Successive rebuilds were undertaken by Lancelot Pease 1661, Thomas Thamar 1674, Renatus Harris 1686, John Avery 1803, William Hill 1834, 1859 & 1889 and Harrison & Harrison 1934, 1968 & 1992. The organ that we hear today is to a specification drawn up by Boris Ord including additions to the choir & solo organs and the voicing skills of Harrison & Harrison.
The Revd R Lloyd Morgan (since 2010)
Henry VI was only 19 when he laid the first stone of the 'College roial of Oure Lady and Seynt Nicholas' in Cambridge on Passion Sunday, 1441. Henry drew up detailed instructions for Eton and King's, and at both places his first concern was the chapel. He went to great lengths to ensure that King's College Chapel would be without equal in size and beauty. No other college had a chapel built on such a scale: in fact, the building was modelled on the plan of a cathedral choir, the architect being Henry VI's master mason, Reginald Ely. Work continued through the reigns of Edward IV and Richard III but it was left to the Tudor kings, Henry VII and Henry VIII, to achieve the final, spectacular completion to the Chapel. When Henry VIII died in 1547, just over a hundred years after the laying of the foundation stone, King's College Chapel was recognised as one of Europe's finest, late medieval buildings. It was in truth 'a work of kings'. To read more detail of the building of this wonderful chapel go to www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/history/index.html
FCM at Cambridge
FCM Diocesan Representative
Thomas Neal (Clare College)
FCM National Gatherings