Oxford - Balliol College
|Sunday||Evensong (sometimes Holy Communion) 17.45|
College 01865 277777
Chaplain 01865 277716
The Choir is a mixed voice choir drawn from members of the college and university. It is directed by the organ scholar.
The Revd Douglas Dupree (since )
The college is thought to date back to 1263 when John Balliol bought and maintained a house for poor students in the suburbs of Oxford. His widow made the arrangements permanent and gave the college its first seal. The Chapel is the third on the site, the first was in 1328, the second about 1525 and the third in 1857 by William Butterfield. This building does not seem to have been much favoured and much of the internal decoration has been replaced. Some survivals of the 16th century chapel include the crowned brazen eagle lecturn, the Jacobean pulpit and some wonderful fragments of the stained glass.
FCM at Oxford
FCM Diocesan Representative