Bristol - St Mary Redciffe
Weekdays 09.00-17.00, Sunday 08.00-19.30
|Sunday||Sung Eucharist 09.30, Choral Mattins 11.15, Sung Evensong 18.30|
Director of Music & Organist
Andrew Kirk (since )
The choir consists of 20 boy trebles, recriuted from local schools, and 16 men, all of whom are amateurs. The choir has a wide repertoire, tours regularly in the UK, occasionally overseas, and has recorded several CDs. A girls choir was formed in 2005 and will shortly begin singing Evensong on Thursdays.
In 1910 Harrison & Harrison of Durham built a new organ of 64 stops over 4 manuals, positioned each side of the Chancel. Since then various restorations have taken place, the last in 1990.
Priest in charge
The Revd Dr Simon Taylor (since )
Some parts of the building date from the 12th century but the strong vertical lines of the Gothic building, which give the impression of such space and height, are 15th century. The ceiling is a vast stone vault with stone ribs and some 1000 bosses. The medieval spire that had collapsed in the 1440s was rebuilt to a height of 292 ft, by the Carynges Society, in 1872. They also uncovered and restored much of the interior.
FCM at Bristol
FCM Diocesan Representative