London - Temple Church
|Sunday||Choral Matins 11.15, Eucharist on last Sunday of the month|
|Wednesday||Organ Recital 13.15-13.45|
Director of Music
Roger Sayer (since 2013)
John Stanley was organist 1734 - 1737
Sir Walford Davies was organist 1898 - 1923
Sir George Thalben-Ball was organist 1923 - 1982.
Carlo Curley was an organ scholar under George Thalben-Ball.
The choir consists of 18 boy choristers, educated at the City of London School, and 12 professional choirmen, founded after the restoration of the church in 1841. The choir's schedule has included tours to Brazil and America, CD recordings, broadcasts and BBC Proms.
The original 1896 Norman & Beard organ was broken up when the present Harrison & Harrison organ was installed in 1954. This was a gift from Lord Glentanar from his estate at Glen Tanar where it had been built by Harrison & Harrison in 1926.
4 manuals 62 stops, Pedal 16 stops, Choir 11 Stops, Great 14 stops, Swell 12 stops, Solo 9 stops
The pedalboard was modelled on drawings of the Temple's Father Smith's 1688 organ.
Master of the Temple
The Revd Robin Griffith-Jones (since )
The church was built by the Knights Templar in the 12th century, in two parts - the Round & the Chancel. It is a numinous space and has wonderful accoustics. It was undamaged by the Great Fire but re-furbished by Wren and then restored again in 1841 in the High Victorian Gothic style. It was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 but rebuilt between 1954-58.