Windsor Castle - St George's Chapel
Map of Windsor
|Sunday||Choral Mattins 10.45, Sung Eucharist 11.45, Choral Evensong 17.15|
|Weekdays||Choral Evensong 17.15 (Wed. visiting choir, Sat. Lay clerks only)|
Entrance: Free for services, otherwise Windsor Castle ticket office
Disabled: Wheelchair access and ramps
Photography: Photography not permitted unless by previous arrangement for scholarly purpose.
Chapel Stewards on duty
Located in the Dean's cloister and online at
tel: 01753 848729/01753 848714
E-mail address: email@example.com
Chapter office 01753 848888
Director of Music
James Vivian (since 2013)
There are 23 boy choristers, who are educated at St George's School in the Castle grounds, and 12 Lay Clerks, adult professional singers who live in the Horseshoe Cloister. The choir was founded at the same time as the College in 1348 and sings regularly in the presence of HM The Queen and other members of the Royal Family, as well for their family events. The choir is involved in a number of Festivals, tours abroad and new CD recordings.
1883 Gray & Davidson, rebuilt 1930 Rothwell & J W Walker, rebuilt 1996 & 2002 Harrison & Harrison4 manuals 72 stops Pedal 20 stops, Choir 15 stops, Great 13 stops, Swell 16 stops, Solo 8 stops
The Right Revd David Conner (since 1998)
The Chapel was founded by Edward III in 1348 and the present building begun by Edward IV in 1475. The main Chapel was finally completed in the early 1500s with the vaulting. The late 18th century saw the construction of the fine Choir screen and organ and Queen Victoria reworked the East end of the Choir, completed Henry VII's Lady Chapel and the fine ceremomial steps at the West end. The Chapel is the home to the Order of the Garter.