The Oratory Birmingham (RC)
Very restricted opening times due to services.
|Sunday||Solemn Mass 10.30, Vespers 19.30|
Director of Music
Nicholas Johnson (since )
The organ was rebuilt by Nicholsons in 1987 incorporating much pipework from previous organs. It has 61 stops over 4 manuals. The gallery organ is also by Nicholson (1864), originally at Clent PC, rebuilt by Harrison & Harrison in 1904 and rebuilt at the Oratory by John Pryer and Paul Parsons.
Father Paul Chavasse (since )
The Oratory was founded by John Henry Newman in 1848 and established in its present site in Edgbaston in 1851. Due to shortage of funds there was only a temporary building for the 'congregation of priests' as initiated by St Philip Neri of Rome in the 16th century. A permanent building was begun in 1903 as a memorial to Cardinal Newman and consecrated in 1920. It is a classical church in the Renaissance style with pedimented facade, low dome, shallow apse, and basilican nave with 6 monolithic Corintian columns. The polychrome stone and redbrick cloister quandrangle of Newman was left intact.
FCM at Birmingham
FCM Diocesan Representative
Canon John Craig