Belfast St Peter's (RC) Cathedral
Cathedral Church of St. Peter
|Sunday||Mass 09.00, 11.00 & 19.00|
|Weekdays||10.00 plus Tue & Thu 19.00; Sat Vigil Mass 19.30|
Cathedral St Peter's, Belfast
Dr Hugh Kennedy (since 2006)
Rt Rev Patrick Walsh (since )
St Peter's was the first Catholic church in Belfast to be built in the Gothic style, while its commmanding position made it a conspicuous landmark on the southern and western approaches to the city. Its impressive features included two great towers, five doorways, two porch entrances and a sculpture depicting the liberation of St Peter from prison over the main entrance. The church was build of Scrabo stone. Internally the nave was separated from the north and south aisles by an arcade of seven arches. Each aisle terminated in a chapel, that of the Blessed Virgin in the north aisle, and the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in the south. Apart from a series of triple-lighted windows, the western gable is illuminated by a large wheeled window.
The opening ceremony took place on 14 October 1866. The cathedral was beautifully restored in 2007.