St Davids Cathedral
Cathedral Church of St. David
St Davids Street Map
|Sunday||Parish Eucharist 9.30 (Family Eucharist on 4th Sunday), Choral Matins 11.15 (Choral Eucharist on 4th Sunday), Choral Evensong 18.00|
|Weekdays||Choral Evensong 18.00 (Except usually on Mondays and Saturdays where Evening Prayer is said).|
Guided tours during late July - August, Mondays at 11.00 & 15.00 and Fridays at 14.30, lasting 50 minutes. Other times may be arranged by prior appointment. An optional donation to the Cathedral is asked for but the amount is not stipulated.
Open daily throughout the year in St Mary's Hall in the Cloisters. Summer suppers between June & September
Cathedral Shop at the West End of the Nave and the Domus Shop specialising in Welsh & Celtic gifts & crafts, over a stone bridge across the river
Near the Domus shop over the river and within the cathedral
E-mail address: email@example.com
Cathedral Office 01437 720202
Organist & Master of the Choristers
Oliver Waterer (since 2013)
The Cathedral Choir is unique in Wales with its top line of girls, aged 8 - 18, who sing with the lay clerks at four of the services each week. The Boys Choir is a separate choir which usually sings Evensong once per week. The Junior Choir of boys and girls aged 3 - 6 years is drawn from local primary schools. All three choirs are recruited entirely from the miniscule local population of around 1400, singing six choral services each week. Each year the Cathedral appoints three choral scholars to the back row. The choirs now enjoy a state-of-the-art choir room (with a piano donated by the FCM) in the newly restored Cloisters.
The St Davids Cathedral Festival is held each Spring towards the end of May for a week of classical and choral music. Details http://www.stdavidscathedral.org.uk/index.php?id=693
Father Willis 1883, rebuilt by Hill, Norman & Beard in 1953, when it was housed in a magnificent new case, by Alban Carve, on the Choir Screen. The organ was dismantled, restored & rebuilt by Harrison & Harrison in 2000 and enlarged to 4 manuals incorporating much of the Father Willis pipework.
4 manuals 54 stops
Pedal 11 stops. Choir 9 stops, Great 12 stops, Swell 12 stops, Choir East 10 stops
Cathedral of St David
The Very Revd Jonathan Lean (since 2009)
The Right Revd John Wyn Evans (since 2008)
The Nave is the oldest part of the cathedral, in Norman style, with rounded arches, wooden ceiling, early font and 14th century stone screen. Beyond the screen the Choir has 15th century stalls and 16th century misericords. The Holy Trinity Chapel by Bishop Edward Vaughan, in the early 16th century perpendicular style, boosts lovely fan vaulting and an altar and reredos of medieval stone fragments. There is a fine Library & Treasury within the cathedral, whilst outside is the newly recreated Cloister. This comprises an East/South Cloister of 2 storeys containing meeting rooms and a North/West Cloister as open walkways with paving & seating as quiet spaces.